Motley Brews hosted its largest event to date with the ninth annual Great Vegas Festival of Beer, held at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center on Friday and Saturday with approximately 8,000 guests in attendance over both days.
Some of the state’s top brewers, mixologists, chefs and restaurateurs competed in multiple categories in Friday’s Mad Craft Experience, touted as a “science fair for beer and food.” Local brewers and chefs experimented with unique beer and food pairings in a friendly competition, providing attendees with unlimited samples of beer creations and culinary dishes.
Mad Craft winners included:
- Best Decorated Booth: Joseph James Brewing Company
- Best Beer Blend: Gold & Night by Beer District Brewing
- Best Beer Cocktail: Black Stones and Old Bones by Golden Tiki
- Best Specialty Beer: Fauxlander by Big Dog’s Brewing Company
- Best Beer Experiment: Benedict Cucumberbatch by Mason Ale Works
- Best Craft IPA or Pale Ale-Infused Dish: The Waffkin by Twice Baked
- Best Stout or Porter-Infused Dish: Hand-Rolled Cavatelli by Esther’s Kitchen
- Best Protein Beer-Infused Dish: Hopped Raspberry Burrata Toast by Esther’s Kitchen
- Best Craft Beer-Infused Vegetable Dish: I Wit You Not, Sprouts on Crack by Tacos and Beer
The Grand Tasting on Saturday featured over 100 breweries pouring more than 500 beers from around the globe. Along with the beer offerings, the Grand Tasting included a variety of high-energy, interactive experiences from sponsors including Zappos Murals and Magic, PT’s Brewing Company and BLVD & MAIN Taphouse’s Center Bar, Ellis Island’s Front Yard Karaoke and Brooklyn Bowl’s Silent Disco.
The “Get Motley” VIP lounge offered views overlooking the entire festival, as well as samplings from Saint Archer Brewing Company, Beer District Brewing, Aces & Ales and Hop Valley Brewing Company. VIP chefs included Chef Jose Navarro, co-owner of Stache & Suite catering and executive chef at Trevi and Chef Geno Bernardo, executive chef at The Summit Club.
Zappos created statues of a pretzel and beer can running towards each other for photo opportunities, along with a mural spelling out “BEER” with local beer labels and a staged wall for people to pose with wings made of beer stickers. A portion of the proceeds from the event benefited the Vegas Golden Knights Foundation and the Nevada Craft Brewers Association.
About Motley Brews:
Awarded “Best Food and Drink Festival” in the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s 2018 Best of Las Vegas Awards, Motley Brews was created for locals, breweries and brew fans alike to share great libations in a true local setting. Motley Brews develops beer-centric festivals and events throughout the Southwest, including San Diego, Las Vegas and Pasadena, Calif. Motley Brews’ annual Great Vegas Festival of Beer, founded in 2011, is Nevada’s largest craft beer festival. More information about Motley Brews is on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @MotleyBrews, or on its website at http://motleybrews.com.