Today marks the release of Stone Brewing Co ‘17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA‘. So we decided to help you out and post “Dr.” Bill Sysak suggested Food Pairing for this particular craft beer and a few other details just in case you rush out and buy it today.
- Appetizers: Honey-ginger chicken skewers, crab cakes, grilled peaches with blue cheese, Marcona almonds
- Salads: Citrus with goat cheese, summer fruit, Thai seafood, Waldorf
- Entrees: Rotisserie chicken, Cajun shrimp and grits, tofu stir fry, cedar plank salmon
- Cheeses: Grana Padrano, Fiscalini Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, Green Mountain Blue Cheese, Point Reyes Blue
- Desserts: Peach cobbler, carrot cake, rhubarb pie, lemon squares
- Cigars: Drew Estate Herrera Esteli, Montecristo Platinum Churchill, My Father Flor de las Antillas Toro, Illusione Epernay Le Martin
Tasting notes, provided by Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele
Appearance: Pours deep gold and brilliantly crystal clear with an off-white colored head.
Aroma: Focused on hoppy, with herbal and stone fruit hop aromatics.
Taste: European hops—herbal, floral, spicy, peppery and resiny, balanced by very clean, intensely bitter, beautiful subtle malt flavors, and just a hint of alcohol.
Palate: Crisp and bitter. A very refreshing beer; well suited for the summer!
Overall: A very fun beer for us to brew. Through a series of intense dry-hopping trials that we have been running over the past couple of years, we found several newer German hop varieties that we thought were unique and different from the citrusy American hops and fruity New Zealand hops that we have been using so much of this year. An interesting twist on a Double IPA (a German IPA, perhaps?), brewed with malts and hops traditionally used to brew German lagers and European pilsners. Some of the hops we included in this recipe include Strisselspalt, which has long been one of my favorite noble hops, with a delicate floral character and hints of citrus; Sterling, a U.S.-bred hop with Saaz heritage, and a hop we haven’t used much before, but we just love the intense resiny and spicy pure hop flavor; Herkules, a newer high-alpha German hop variety with intense stone fruit and tropical fruit characteristics; and Hersbrucker, a classic German aroma hop with intense floral and stone fruit flavors.
Be sure to follow us on Social Media as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!