The Mexican hot chocolate-inspired beer introduced last year as Stone Xocoveza Mocha Stout is making a comeback, starting next week, in 12oz six-packs and on draft. You can thank those (yourself included, perhaps) who clamored for its return. Such adoration, along with Stone’s own love for the beer, inspired them to rebrew this milk stout infused with cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Same recipe (based on Chris Banker’s Stone Homebrew Competition-winning creation). New name. The Stone Blog has more background on the beer rechristened “Stone Xocoveza for the Holidays & the New Year.”
Stone Brewing Co.’s Tasting Notes:
- Appearance: Pours black with a thick brown head.
- Aroma: Intense cinnamon, cocoa and coffee are followed by nutmeg and peppers. As the beer warms up, the flavor combinations evolve and the cocoa and vanilla notes really start to open up.
- Taste: Cocoa and cinnamon are at the forefront. The coffee, nutmeg and vanilla follow, and the fruitiness and heat of the pasilla peppers come through nicely on the finish.
- Palate: Full bodied and very smooth with a light bitterness. The sweetness adds a lot to this beer without being too syrupy.
- Overall: When we first brewed this beer in 2014, I think everyone on the brewing team was blown away by its multiple layers of flavor. The inspiration came from Mexican hot chocolate combined with coffee. We loved how wonderfully this beer showcases the spices, cocoa and subtle coffee roast flavors, so much that we were excited to bring it back as an annual Stone special release.
Be sure to follow us on Social Media as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!