Carlsbad based SPY, one of the oldest, independent eyewear brands in the U.S. and a leader in eyewear innovation, is again producing the SPY Belgian Waffle Ride (BWR).
The SPY BWR is a grueling 229--kilometer, multi--terrain cycling race that began as a tribute to the beautiful and taxing rides staged in Belgium each spring. The course includes 11,000 feet of arduous climbing through the unrelenting hills of San Diego County and includes a relentless barrage of mud, dirt, single--track and water crossings. This video recaps the glory and horror from 2013’s ride:
The event will attract 1000 of the best of the biking community, including Olympians; World, National and State champions; professional and amateur cyclists; and surf, motocross and bike industry luminaries. For those not racing, there will be a two--day lifestyle expo (Saturday and Sunday) with more than 40 product and food vendors, in addition to beer gardens benefitting the non-- profit Challenged Athletes Foundation and Keep A Breast foundation. It will include tents from the race’s sponsors showcasing the latest and greatest the cycling world has to offer.
- Hundreds of cyclists chowing down on huge Belgian waffles.
- The melee that is the start of a cycling event with 800 people.
- The tired, bloody and weary finishers.
- SPY president, Michael Marckx, who will also be racing in the event.
- Members from the Challenged Athletes Foundation.
- The high-tech Happy Lens, a patented SPY--only sunglass technology that can improve your mood and performance.
Saturday, April 25: 12:00 pm -- 4:00 pm – Expo only
Sunday, April 26: 5:30 am – until the race is complete. Expo begins at 8 am.
The Lost Abbey Brewery,
155 Mata Way #104, San Marcos, CA 92069
*The lifestyle expo and start of the race will both be held at Lost Abbey.
Be sure to follow us on Social Media as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!