San Diego’s Most Exciting And Grueling Cycling Race Returns To Lost Abbey April 26
Carlsbad based SPY, one of the oldest, independent eyewear brands in the U.S. and a leader in eyewear innovation, is again producing the SPY Belgian Waffle Ride (BWR).
The SPY BWR is a grueling 229--kilometer, multi--terrain cycling race that began as a tribute to the beautiful and taxing rides staged in Belgium each spring. The course includes 11,000 feet of arduous climbing through the unrelenting hills of San Diego County and includes a relentless barrage of mud, dirt, single--track and water crossings. This video recaps the glory and horror from 2013’s ride:
The event will attract 1000 of the best of the biking community, including Olympians; World, National and State champions; professional and amateur cyclists; and surf, motocross and bike industry luminaries. For those not racing, there will be a two--day lifestyle expo (Saturday and Sunday) with more than 40 product and food vendors, in addition to beer gardens benefitting the non-- profit Challenged Athletes Foundation and Keep A Breast foundation. It will include tents from the race’s sponsors showcasing the latest and greatest the cycling world has to offer.
- Hundreds of cyclists chowing down on huge Belgian waffles.
- The melee that is the start of a cycling event with 800 people.
- The tired, bloody and weary finishers.
- SPY president, Michael Marckx, who will also be racing in the event.
- Members from the Challenged Athletes Foundation.
- The high-tech Happy Lens, a patented SPY--only sunglass technology that can improve your mood and performance.
Saturday, April 25: 12:00 pm -- 4:00 pm – Expo only
Sunday, April 26: 5:30 am – until the race is complete. Expo begins at 8 am.
The Lost Abbey Brewery,
155 Mata Way #104, San Marcos, CA 92069
*The lifestyle expo and start of the race will both be held at Lost Abbey.