Now in its fourth year, Deschutes Brewery’s Base Camp for Beer Fanatics is better than ever! Beer fans in San Diego are in for an amazing series of specialty beer tastings, beer and food pairings, and appearances by Woody, the giant beer barrel on wheels. Deschutes brewers, ambassadors and fanatics will be on hand to provide some in-the-trenches insight into our courageously crafted brews.
Deschutes Brewery’s Base Camp not only celebrates brewery’s popular Mirror Pond Pale Ale, but we also pull out the stops with other year-round favorites and specialty brews that can’t be found elsewhere.
We’re forming a special partnership for the week with San Diego Coastkeeper. A portion of proceeds from the events will go to benefit their efforts in restoration and upkeep on 70 miles of Sand Diego Coastline. Deschutes Brewery will make a matching donation of up to $1,000.
Woody, our good-times-on-wheels mobile bar, will be meeting and greeting fans around the region throughout Base Camp week. In greater San Diego, Woody may be found roving around your neighborhood so you can snap a few photos, grab some swag and have some afternoon fun. Follow him at @dbwoody!
- Tues, 4/15, 12-3pm North Park
- Wed, 4/16, 12-3pm Pacific Beach
- Thurs, 4/17, 12-3pm San Marcos/ Escondido
- Fri, 4/18, 12-3pm Ocean Beach
You can chime in and listen to the Base Camp chatter on Twitter using #BeerBaseCamp and by following @DeschutesBeer.
- Tues, 4/15, 5-9pm Hats Off to Homebrewers (Coronado Brewery Taproom)
- Wed, 4/16, 4-7pm Bikes, Beers & Bites (Various Locations- see below)
- Wed, 4/16, 6-10pm Flights & Bites (The TapRoom – Pacific Beach)
- Thurs, 4/17, 5-9pm Landmarks Beer Dinner (Urge American GastroPub)
- Thurs, 4/17, 8-11pm Beer-lesque: Tastings & Tassels (98 Bottles)
- Fri, 4/18, 6-10pm Pizza, Pints and Prizes (Pizza Port)
- Sat, 4/19, 11am-close Deschutes Brewery Beach Bash (Various Locations – Belmont Park)
Media Contact: Marie Melsheimer, 541-815-3951, email@example.com
Hats Off to Homebrewers
Attention homebrewers and beer geeks…come share your love for craft at Coronado Brewery Taproom for a collaborative event with Deschutes Brewery. Visitors can chat with the brewers from both Coronado and Deschutes while enjoying side-by-side samples of beers from both breweries (in your commemorative snifter!) paired with delectable small bites created by Deschutes Brewery executive chef Jeff Usinowicz and Coronado executive chef Casey Chapman. Gather complimentary brewing supplies, including clone recipe booklets and bags of whole flower hops, to use in your next homebrew (supplies are limited). A formal brewer Q&A session will answer your darkest, or lightest, brewing questions. Part of the proceeds will benefit Deschutes Brewery’s Base Camp charity of the week – San Diego Coastkeeper. Grab a fellow homebrewer or craft beer fan and join us for this amazing event!
- When: Tuesday, April 15, 5-9pm
- Where: Coronado Brewery Taproom, 1205 Knoxville Street, San Diego, CA 92110
- Cost: $30 (includes beer samples, food, commemorative snifter, more)
Bikes, Beers & Bites
Riding bicycles from pub to pub is one of our favorite things (isn’t it everyone’s?). Deschutes Brewery is in town to celebrate all things craft beer and invites locals and visitors to join in the bike crawl fun. We’ll start out the evening at Bicycle Discovery around 4pm, and make our way through the area to end up at The TapRoom’s special “Flights and Bites” event. Each stop has special beers and appetizers for crawlers. Don’t have a bike? Rentals are only $10. Proceeds benefit San Diego Coastkeeper.
When: Wednesday, April 16, 4-7pm
- Bicycle Discovery, 742 Felspar St, San Diego, CA 92109
- Ciros Pizzeria, 967 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109
- Bare Back Grill, 4640 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109
- The TapRoom, 1269 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109
Cost: $15 equals three tokens for beer and paired appetizer
Flights and Bites with Deschutes Brewery
The Deschutes Brewery gang is traveling down from Oregon to celebrate its Base Camp for Beer Fanatics in the greater San Diego. This evening’s event will feature small plates that have been inspired by Deschutes beers. Woody, the brewery’s giant traveling beer barrel, will be in attendance and they’ll be giving away commemorative pint glasses. Fill the pints up with beers like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Inversion IPA, Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA, Pine Drops IPA and Obsidian Stout Nitro. Bike crawl ends up here!
- When: Wednesday, April 16, 6-10pm
- Where: The TapRoom (Pacific Beach), 1269 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109
Landmarks Beer Dinner with Deschutes Brewery
Not just any old beer dinner, this event is an “interactive” evening that gives guests hands-on insight into the world of food and craft beer. Four stations will each feature a different Deschutes beer (each named after a popular Central Oregon landmark) and a course that’s been expertly paired with that beer. Chefs and brewers will educate visitors about cooking with beer, pairing foods with beer and more. The menu for the evening features items inspired by beers like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter, Chainbreaker White IPA, Inversion IPA, Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale, Pine Drops IPA, Obsidian Stout Nitro, Fresh Squeezed IPA, Mirror Mirror and Class of ’88 Smoked Porter.
- When: Thursday, April 17, 5-9pm
- Where: Urge American Gastropub, 16761 Bernardo Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92128
- Tickets: $45 More info at www.DeschutesBrewery.com/BaseCamp
Beer-lesque: Tastings and Tassels
What’s better than an evening full of craft beer from Oregon’s Deschutes Brewery? An evening full of craft beer…coupled with some comedy, variety acts, and lovely burlesque ladies. The event will be emceed by the one and only Naughty Pierre, who recently hosted one of the largest burlesque festivals of last year. The ladies will feature a Deschutes Brewery beer in each of their burlesque and variety stage acts. This is sure to be a night of excitement, laughter, and unforgettable fun. A portion of the proceeds go to benefit the efforts of SD Coastkeeper.
- When: Thursday, 4/17, 8-11pm
- Where: 98 Bottles, 2400 Kettner Blvd #110, San Diego, CA 92101
- Tickets: $5 More info at www.DeschutesBrewery.com/BaseCamp
Deschutes Brewery Pizza, Pints & Prizes
Pizza, pints, prizes, perfection! Join the Deschutes Brewery gang, down from Oregon for a week of celebration in the San Diego area. They’ll be joined by their giant traveling beer barrel, Woody, who is happy to pose for photos and show off his disco ball. Pint glass giveaways and a special pizza menu made just to pair with beers like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter, Chainbreaker White IPA, Inversion IPA, Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale and Fresh Squeezed IPA.
- When: Friday, April 18, 6-10pm
- Where: Pizza Port (Ocean Beach), 1956 Bacon St, San Diego, CA 92107
Deschutes Brewery Beach Bash
Deschutes Brewery is taking over Belmont Park area for a full day and night of craft beer – beach style. With three locations featuring special menus paired with different Deschutes beers at each location, with a view of some live surfing action and the beach scene. Look for beers like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter, Inversion IPA,Chainbreaker White IPA, Fresh Squeezed IPA, Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale, Red Chair NW Pale Ale, Obsidian Stout & More!
- When & Where: Saturday, April 19
- 11am-close: Wave House, 3125 Ocean Front Walk, San Diego, CA 92109
- Noon-8pm: Sandbar Sports Grill, 718 Ventura Pl, San Diego, CA 92109
- Noon-8pm: Coaster Saloon, 744 Ventura Pl, San Diego, CA 92109
Be sure to follow us on Social Media to get to see our beer adventures live as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!