Anton Paar has been a partner to the brewing industry for decades; by now the Austrian high-precision measuring instrument manufacturer is the world’s leading provider of alcohol and density measurement in the brewing industry. The company’s latest innovation is the Alex 500 alcohol and extract meter, based on a patented combination of technologies: absorption measurement via NIR spectroscopy and density measurement based on the oscillating U-tube technology.
Alex 500 puts craft brewers in control of their entire production process, from fermentation monitoring to quality control of the bottled beer. The compact, easy to operate instrument can be used in two modes: In the fermentation monitor mode, it directly displays a fermentation curve, assigned to a tank via sample ID. In the final production stages, Alex 500 can be switched to its standard mode, to determine a beer’s alcohol content, original or real extract content and many other beer parameters – like calories or degree of fermentation, with lab-grade accuracy.
Alex 500 measures alcohol with an accuracy of 0.2 % v/v and determines density with an accuracy of 0.001 g/cm³. With these numbers on their side, craft brewers can be certain that their beer’s taste and quality are always stable, pint for pint. Best of all, brewers can handle the entire measurement procedure themselves, so they can always be sure that undesired deviations in production are immediately corrected.
Speed is one of many differences that set Alex 500 apart from the glass hydrometers still commonly found in smaller breweries. Alex 500 covers the entire beer measuring range, not just part of it. Brewers are provided with direct, real-time results, without the necessity for a separate calculation or distillation. They only need one single instrument for all samples in their production – In addition, all data is automatically documented and perfectly traceable.
Craft brewers are given a wide range of new opportunities by Alex 500, an attractively-priced solution based on decades of beer measurement expertise.
- Patented combination of absorption measurement via NIR spectroscopy and density measurement based on the oscillating U-tube technology
- Comprehensive statistical model for determination of alcohol and extract content as well as other typical beer parameters
- Quality, pure and simple, from the world’s leading provider of density and alcohol measurement in the brewing industry
Certainty from fermentation monitoring to final quality control
- Two operation modes: fermentation monitor mode and standard mode
- Display of fermentation curves based on density measurement (apparent extract), assigned to a tank via sample ID
- Measurement of alcohol and extract content in final production stages
More than a hydrometer replacement
- Covers the entire beer measuring range
- Provides direct, real-time results at all times, without any separate calculation or distillation
- Documentation and perfect traceability of measured data
- Wireless printout of data via Bluetooth or data transfer to a PC
- Robust, low-maintenance and easy to clean
Quick and intuitive operation
- Simple, standardized sample preparation
- Unique sample naming
- Storage of customized measuring methods
- Automatic filling of sample via integrated peristaltic pump
- Easy adjustment with deionized water