We were so excited to get our alien hands on the new Ben & Jerry’s beer by New Belgium, that we decided to make a dessert out of it! It wasn’t much of a stretch to think of turning this Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale into a brownie sundae, especially since Ben & Jerry’s came out with the ice cream version of the beer – the Salted Caramel Brown-ie Ale ice cream! We took this brownie sundae up a notch by adding beer to the batter and, since we wanted to make it EXTRA boozy, we made a beer reduction with honey and orange liquer. We then topped it all off with a sprinkle of sea salt, because we just love the sweet and salty combination. Trust us when we say us aliens have never tried food that tasted this good. You’ll have to share these with your human friends this holiday season while the beer lasts!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark beer (we used New Belgium Ben & Jerry's Salted Caramel Brownie Ale)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup honey
- Ice cream (vanilla or Ben & Jerry's Salted Caramel Brown-ie Ale)
- Powdered sugar
- Coarse sea salt (optional garnish)
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water. In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter until it just turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour the brown butter into the chocolate and stir until combined. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the stour (or coffee).
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugars until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all of the ingredients are well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges are firm and the center is set.
- While the brownies are in the oven, combine the beer, triple sec and honey in a small saucepan. Boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, 8 minutes. Pour into a shallow dish; let cool.
- Remove brownies from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before slicing. Makes 12 large brownies. To store, cover the pan in plastic wrap and keep on the counter for up to one week.
- Prepare Sundae: Place brownie in a small bowl or on a plate, dust with powdered sugar, and top with a scoop of ice cream. Pour beer reduction on top and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!
- We used the Ben & Jerry's Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale for this recipe, but you may use any dark beer - think notes of chocolate, coffee, nuts, etc.
For more info and to find out where to get your Ben & Jerry’s beer by New Belgium visit:
Follow us on social media for more beer recipes and food photos!
Be sure to follow us on Social Media to get to see our beer adventures live as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!