Second Self Beer Company—Georgia’s new craft brewery that opened in Atlanta last fall—will release canned versions of their award-winning brews for the first time ever starting next week. Previously only available on draft, Second Self’s Thai Wheat (a spicy American wheat beer) will be available in cans starting April 6th, and Red Hop Rye (a hybrid red rye IPA) will be available in cans starting April 14th. Second Self’s balanced and much-loved year-round beers will be offered in 12-ounce cans at bars, restaurants, and retail shops throughout Georgia (with plans to expand), including Tower, Hop City, Ale Yeah, and many more. Please see here for a map that will be continually updated with available locations.
Acclaimed Atlanta design agency Adrenaline, Inc. designed the crisp and vibrant can labels. Each features a “flavor stack” describing that beer’s profile in clear and simple terms—e.g. “Spicy, Lemongrass, Exotic, Ginger, Dry” for Thai Wheat. Second Self’s signature image—a face divided in two illustrating a “Second Self”—is a focal point of the design.
Founders Jason Santamaria (31-years-old) and Chris Doyle (30-years-old) started Second Self as a home brewing experiment nine years ago, and released their highly acclaimed beers to the public in fall 2014. The two met in college at Georgia Tech and bonded over a shared passion for good beer. Chris went on to work at Atlanta’s Sweetwater Brewery and earned his certificate from the American Brewers Guild Craft Brewers Apprenticeship program. Jason has a background in food and business. Second Self’s beers are brewed with only fresh ingredients like blue ginger and lemongrass (never dried ingredients or extracts). Jason and Chris designed each brew to be paired with food. Second Self’s brewery is located at 1311 Logan Circle NW, Atlanta, GA, and is open for tours and tastings on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons.
“Thai Wheat and Red Hop Rye are our two most universal, signature brews,” said Jason Santamaria. “We’re excited that now people can enjoy them at more restaurants and bars and at home, without being restricted to draft.”
Second Self offers year-round, flagship beers, a “Second Shift” series of small-production, seasonal beers, and a lineup of rotating IPA’s.
- Thai Wheat (5.1% ABV, 18 IBU) — a spicy American wheat beer brewed with fresh lemongrass and ginger.Suggested Pairings: fish, chicken, pork loin, grilled vegetables, sushi, and Asian cuisine.
- Red Hop Rye (7.3% ABV, 69 IBU) — a spicy rye mixed with citrusy hops, balanced by a malty backbone from American caramel & honey malts. This is a great example of an American hybrid of beer: a Red Rye IPA.Suggested pairings: BBQ, steak, burgers, brats, cheddar cheese, and spicy foods.
SEASONAL RELEASES (release date in parentheses):
- Citrus IPA (available now)—This beer highlights what’s in season right now: the freshest winter citrus. It’s brewed with lemon + orange peel and citrus hops.
- Mild Mannered (available now)—Traditional English-style mild.
- Summer IPA (May 1st)—A smooth and hoppy IPA that’s light in body and highly drinkable.
- Christmas in July (June 1st)—a “Christmas-style” Belgian beer designed for summer days. This light and citrusy brew is made with coriander, orange peel, cloves, ginger, and pink peppercorns.
- Smoked IPA (July 1st)—Perfect for grilling season and designed to tap into the “7th taste” – smoke, balanced by the hoppiness of IPA.
- Gose (July 1st)—A refreshing beer made for the beach. Traditional Gose flavors: sea salt, coriander, tartness from natural lactic acid, and ginger for balance.
Second Self is also releasing barrel-aged versions of many of its beers over the next few months.
Be sure to follow us on Social Media to get to see our beer adventures live as we invade more breweries and discover more awesome craft beers from all over the world! Cheers humans!